About Me

My photo
I am just a woman who loves her life, her Jesus, and everything in nature.I believe in living one day at a time, and putting God first in everything. I have an amazing family who loves me, and I love them. God has blessed me beyond anything I could imagine, most of all with my Savior Jesus. God bless all who read.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Not Feeling Secure!

I had joined facebook a few weeks ago, and was enjoying seeing what friends were doing in their everyday life. I had also connected with some friends I had not spoken to or been in touch with in a long time. My youngest son had told me he didn't feel good about this, but I felt it was OK. All was going good until this morning. I got a friend request from someone I did not know, and to be honest he was a very scary looking man. I thought all of this was private to only the people I had ask to be my friend, or they had ask me, but when you take the little quiz, or join a group on there,then your profile is opened for everyone to see. I was surprised when I received the invitation from this person. He said our name was rare and we might be related. I hit the icon ignore, but a few minutes later the request came again, this happened 3 times. My oldest grand-daughter had been asking her Mom and Dad if she could have facebook, because so many of her friends had it. Her Mom and Dad did not allow her to have one, which at first I did not understand, but when I look at what happened this morning, I am sure I see why they were so opposed to her having the facebook. I am not sure she would have not allowed this man to join her facebook, as he was saying he thought we might be related. A 12 year old does not see the danger that I was reminded of this morning. When you have face book, you use your real name, and a lot of personal information is revealed on your profile. You really think all is OK because you know the people you are friends with, but are we ever truly safe online? Just this morning I saw on the news about a 16 year old girl who had befriended a man in Puerto Rico by means of her xbox. Seems you can play against others from everywhere on this game box.She believed everything this man had told her, and at 16 bought an airline ticket and is there now. Her parents were leaving today to go get her. Are parents aware of this? I know the internet has some wonderful features. I know you can gain lots of information that was very hard to obtain years ago, but I also see a danger, a real danger to young people who are not monitored. I also see a danger for lonely people who just want someone to talk to. You know there was a time when I was not reaching out to God for comfort in the problems of this world. I was looking for someone to talk to. I am so thankful that God reminded me through the Holy Spirit talking to me, that he is always there for me. He never leaves me, all I have to do is just open his word, read, and pray. I write in this journal but I only allow the people I have invited to have access to read it. I try to never put real personal information in here, and especially my name or exactly where I live. I just want to caution all of you who know me and read this, be careful online. If you have children please monitor their accounts online, and make sure they are not talking in chats, or in instant messages to people they may not know. Unfortunately our world is full of people who hurt the innocent, and our children are the most vulnerable of all. God bless all of you!

No comments:

Followers